Skip to content Skip to footer
travel info

travel information

traveling to canada

what you need to know

In order to make your trip to Canada as smooth as possible, we have gathered important information regarding traveling to Canada and crossing the border that you need to know before you leave. This information is intended to help you while you make your travel plans, but may be incomplete in some areas. You should visit the Canada Border Services Agency for more complete information and publications before you make your travel arrangements.

Canada Border Services Agency (


Upon entering Canada you may be asked by a border services officer to see a passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). United States citizens are strongly advised to acquire a US Passport. Passports are not required to enter Canada, but are required to return to the United States. If you are flying, you are required to have a valid US Passport.

Travelers are encouraged to visit the US Custom and Border Protection website for detailed information regarding the US Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its travel requirements for entering or returning to the United States.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (


Anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors and driving while impaired) may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine if you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Canada Citizenship and Immigration website.

Immigration and citizenship –


As a visitor you can bring certain goods into Canada for your personal use as “personal baggage”. Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sport equipment, cameras, and personal computers. It also includes vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Border service officers do conduct examinations of goods being imported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you depart, you are not required to pay duty or taxes.


Visitors may import the restricted amounts of alcohol and tobacco products as long as they are in your possession when you arrive in Canada.

Alcoholic beverages are products that exceed 0.5% alcohol by volume.  If you meet the minimum age requirements of the province or territory where you enter Canada, you can include limited quantities of alcohol beverages of you personal entitlement.

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcoholic beverages tax free:

    • 1.5 Litres (53 imperial oz of wine; or
    • A total of 1.14 litres (40 oz) of alcoholic beverages; or
    • up to 8.5 litres of beer or ale
    • 200 cigarettes
    • 50 cigars
    • 200 grams (7 oz) of manufactured tobacco; and 
    • 200 tabacco sticks

firearms & weapons

You must declare all weapons and firearms at the CBSA port of entry when you enter Canada. Failure to do so could result in prosecution and forfeiture of goods.

For detailed information on importing a firearm into Canada, see the publication called Importing a Firearm or Weapon into Canada.

An individual must be 18 years old to bring a firearm into Canada. Those younger than 18 may use a firearm in Canada in certain circumstances, but an adult must remain present and be responsible for the firearm.

All non-resident guests must complete the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (Canadian Government forms RMCP 5589 / CAFC 909 and RMCP 5590 / CAFC 910 and present them in triplicate and unsigned at the Canadian border along with your firearms and a $25.00 Canadian payment.

Further information and the forms can be downloaded from the government website at: Canada Firearms Center.

Import and export a firearm or weapon into Canada.

vehichleS & private boats

As a visitor, you are permitted to temporarily import passenger and recreational vehicles for your personal use. These included snowmobiles, boats and trailers. ATV’s and outboard motors. You cannot leave temporarily imported goods in Canada between visits without proper permits.


Vehicle insurance is compulsory in Saskatchewan. US visitors are advised to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card, which is accepted as evidence of financial responsibility in case of an accident. This card is available in the USA through US Insurance companies.

Additional Information

Saskatchewan Hunting Regulations

Cuss Creek Taxidermy

Saskatchewan Outfitters Association

Town of Hudson Bay

Make your dreams come true by booking the bear hunt of a lifetime!

Into the Wild OUtfitters

With this area of Saskatchewan being in prime Black Bear country with its prime food sources, low hunting pressures, great genetics, and limited amount of Black Bear licenses we ensure this area holds a high percent of bears, Boone & Crockett, Pope & Young, and Colored Phased Bears.


Box 14 Yorkton, Saskatchewan, Canada  S3N 2V6

Sheldon Dubnyk

Into the Wild Outfitters © 2024. All rights reserved. | Website Design by Crossroads Media Productions